NMC CBT – Part 1 Test of Competence for Nurses
The UK NMC CBT is a multiple choice online exam for overseas nurses to get the nursing registration in the UK. Nurses can attend the CBT at a Pearson VUE test centre available in most of the countries around the world. The CBT comprises 120 multiple-choice questions with time limit of 4 hours to answer it.
Introduction to UK NMC CBT
In October 2014 Nursing and Midwifery Council of the UK introduced the two part NMC test of competence
- CBT – Computer Based Test
- OSCE– Objective Structured Clinical Examination
Nurses and midwives seeking UK registration who are trained outside the European Economic Area must pass these 2 NMC test of competence. The tests measures applicants against current pre-registration education standards of the UK.
Nursing in the UK is made up of separate and distinct fields of practice. The distinct nursing fields in the UK are:
• Adult nursing
• Children’s nursing
• Learning disabilities nursing
• Mental health nursing
Cost for NMC CBT
NMC CBT costs £130 (From 1st April 2019 £90) for details
Visit: UK NMC to cut test fees to encourage Nursing and Midwifery workforce
NMC CBT Study Materials
- NMC CBT Previously Asked Questions and Answers
- NMC CBT MOCK Test
3. Mentor Merlin NMC CBT Online Practice is available on Google Play Store
Taking the test of competence – NMC CBT
- Applicants can sit twice as part of one application.
- If an applicant fails for the first CBT, they must wait a minimum of 28 working days before they can sit the CBT again.
- If an applicant fails for the second CBT, their application will close. They will be required to wait six months before submitting a new eligibility application to take the test again.
Percentage of items from each domain included in the NMC CBT
1. Professional values – Approximately 27%
2. Communication and interpersonal skills – Approximately 10%
3. Nursing practice and decision making – Approximately 33%
4. Leadership, management and team working – Approximately 13%
5. Unique and specific nursing field competencies within each domain – Approximately 17%
The structure of the nursing CBT
120 multiple choice questions of the nursing CBT is made up of:
- 50 questions related to generic nursing competencies from the specific domain
- 50 questions related to the application of generic nursing competencies on the specific domain
- 20 questions related to the specific competencies required for the specific field.
There are 20 critical questions within the exam which focus on patient or public safety.
Result of NMC CBT
Examination results will be emailed to candidates within 48 business hours after taking the examination or log in to Pearson VUE account created to book the NMC CBT for the result. Candidates will receive a Pass or Fail result. No feedback on test result will be disclosed to the candidates.
Pass Percentage of NMC CBT
From the first CBT taken in November 2014 a total of 22,400 tests have been taken with an overall pass rate of 76 percent. So far, 89 percent of applicants have passed.
October – December 2018: Monthly breakdown